Talk (Bad language)
- Over the last few week / months we have spent some time looking at some of the different
things that God expects from us
- Thought it would be good to see if the Bible has anything to say of the way we talk, the
things we say etc.
The middle bit
- I must admit that from time to time I say the odd bad word or bad thing
- In fact I'm sure I say some thing I dodgy everyday
- What about you lot?
- Have you ever been known to say a bad word or two?
- Opened your mouth when you shouldn't?
- Find yourself swearing for the sake of it?
- When we talk about 'bad words', do you think there is anything worse than swearing?
- Is it worse to say hurtful things, i.e., criticise / put people down, or swear a lot?
- What about hand gestures?
- Has anybody ever been told off / got in to trouble for any of these things?
- Why do you think people get so upset when people say bad words, criticise or put people
- It's hurtful
- It's Rude
- It's often done through ignorance
- It's thoughtless
- It's upsetting
- It's indiscreet / embarrassing / in yer face
- If you're feeling down, it can drag you down lower...
- Our language can have a effect on people...
- Why do you think people swear etc.?
- We swear:
- When we are upset
- When we are down
- If some thing bad happens
- To get back at people
- As a reaction - when you hit your head
- As a strong expression, i.e., when something is really good or bad
- To fit in
- Do you wish you did not swear?
- What does the Bible have to say on this?
- James 3:1-12 The Message Page 567
- Do you think any of that is true? i.e. The things we say can change things / us:
- For better?
- For worse?
- That we can mess other people up?
- Do you think bad language can ever be helpful?
- To conclude...
- don't swear or say "stuff" unwisely...that's what the Bible says
- but realise that we will from time to time, say "stuff" we shouldn't
- so we need to constantly look to God for help and think about the things we say
- just think for a moment, if there was any one thing you could change about your
language, what would it be?
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2004 Nigel Coates