Talk (Proverbs / Eminem / Water Boy)
- Print out's of the verses
- Paper / pens
- Candle etc.
- At various times in our lives, we all need good advice...
- Tonight we're going to think about where we should look for that advice...
- [Using Eminem's video....]
- To introduce this, we're going to watch the video to
Eminem's video for 'Guilty conscience'
- [Play the video]
- In that clip Dr Dre is trying to give Slim some good advice...
- [Using The Water Boy]
- To introduce our topic, we're going to watch the start of
The Water Boy
- If you've ever seen this film you will know that the main character,
Bobby, played by Adam Sandler, gets no end of advice, especially from his
- The trouble is, it's not always good advice...
- [Watch the first 13 minutes of the film...the clip finishes when Bobby
successfully tackles Derek]
- [Using Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade]
- 1 hour 43 mins – Crossing the bridge
- 1 hour 49 mins – Indiana returns with the cup
- [Using Star Wars - the return of the Jedi]
- You could use the scene where Luke goes back to see Yoda to finish his
training. He tries to lift his ship out of the bog, but struggles...what
he needs is some wise words from a man that knows...
- [Using American pie?]
- I've not checked it out, but you might be able to use one of the scenes
where Jim's dad is trying to give his son some 'manly' advice.
- Tonight we're going look at a book in the Bible called Proverbs...a
collection of wise words...and advice...
- Proverbs 10:27
"If you respect the LORD, you will live longer; if you keep doing wrong,
your life will be cut short"
- What do you think it means to respect the Lord?
- If we call ourselves Christians, people should be able to look at our
lives and see our love and respect for God...
- Do you ever talk to people about God?
- What do you say?
- What do people think Christians believe?
- Proverbs 11:14 (TM)
"Without good direction, people lose their way; the more wise counsel you
follow, the better your chances"
- Proverbs 11:14 (CEV)
"A city without wise leaders will end up in ruin; a city with many wise
leaders will be kept safe. "
- Do you have a plan for your life?
- Who do you go to for advice?
- Proverbs 15:7
"Only the wise can give good advice; fools cannot do so."
- Who do you know who is 'wise'?
- What makes them 'wise'?
- Proverbs 12:25 (TM)
"Worry weighs us down; a cheerful word picks us up."
- Some people let life get on top of them...others still smile when
everything is going wrong...
- What kind of person are you?
- What do you do when life gets tough?
- Where does God fit into that?
- What things in this life worry you the most?
- Proverbs 18:13 (TM)
"Answering before listening is both stupid and rude."
- What do you think this means?
- I have a habit for butting into peoples conversations, and blurting stuff
out without really thinking about it...
- What could this proverb say about our relationship with God?
- Maybe sometimes we ask God for help...but we answer the questions
ourselves...we ask God to help and then we don't listen for the answer...
- How do you think we might 'listen' to God?
- Proverbs 20:3
"It makes you look good when you avoid a fight--only fools love to quarrel"
- Proverbs 20:22 (TM)
"Don't ever say, "I'll get you for that!" Wait for GOD; he'll settle the
- How important is it to 'win' an argument or fight?
- Proverbs 16:32
"It is better to be patient than to fight. It is better to control your
temper than to take a city"
- Some people find it hard to control their temper...in the clip coach Klein
got use his anger 'fuel'
- How do you deal with your anger?
- What's the best thing to do when you are angry?
- Proverbs 31:9-9
"But you must defend those who are helpless and have no hope. Be fair and
give justice to the poor and homeless"
- What does justice to the poor and homeless mean / look like?
- To finish, I thought we could have a go at making up our own proverbs...
- [Hand out pens / paper]
- [Read out what people have written]
- Proverbs 24:17 (ESV)
"Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when
- Proverbs 20:1
"It isn't smart to get drunk! Drinking makes a fool of you and leads to
- Proverbs 10:12 (CEV)
"Hatred stirs up trouble; love overlooks the wrongs that others do"
- Proverbs 13:3 (TM)
"Careful words make for a careful life; careless talk may ruin everything"
- Proverbs 15:29
"The LORD never even hears the prayers of the wicked, but he answers the
prayers of all who obey him"
- Proverbs 3:5 (TM)
"Trust GOD from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out
everything on your own."
- Proverbs 16:3 (TM)
"Put GOD in charge of your work, then what you've planned will take place"
- Been a Christian is about putting God in control of your life...
- Proverbs 14:23 (TM)
"Hard work always pays off; mere talk puts no bread on the table"
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2006 Nigel Coates