Talk (Under Pressure / Kindergarten Cop)
- Tonight our subject is called under pressure
- We’re going start by watching a clip from Kindergarten Cop
- [Kindergarten Cop]
- 20 mins 20 sec from start of film – the beginning of a new day ‘Oh God’
- 30 mins 20 sec - ‘she’s better than you’
- 31 mins 30 sec – ‘they are horrible….tell me about it’
The middle bit
- At the start of the clip Mr Kimble thought that looking after a bunch of
kids would be easy…he soon changed his mind
- We all cope with pressure in different ways
- In a moment I’m going to give you
- I’d like you to put them in order of most stressful to least stressful
- Exams, parents, friends, shopping, sport, hobbies, work, school,
sister/brother, the future, God, holidays, clothes, money, boyfriends, travel,
illness, having a laugh, sleep
- Ask each person about their top cause of stress…
- What makes this so stressful for you?
- How does it make you feel?
- Eventually Mr Kimble blows his top and runs out of the class room
- Do you run away from you problems or do you face them head on?
- Eventual Mr Kimble came up with an idea of how to calm the situation
- When you are stressed, how do you calm down?
- Take a break / do something different / speak to some / pray / sport
The Bible bit
- [Discus the following verses]
- Galatians 6:2
“Carry each other's burdens”
- What does this mean?
- How far should we go?
- Sometimes we just need a helping hand, other times we need someone to
'carry' us...that what God will do for us if we let him
- Philippians 4:6
“Do not worry about anything, but pray and ask God for everything you need,
always giving thanks”
- What is your experience?
- James 5:16
“Pray for each other”
- Ecclesiastes 9:11
“…the fastest runner does not always win the race”
- What do you think?
- What's more important...to win, lose or just take part?
- Stress is caused by lots of different things
- Worry / lack of sleep / doing too much / trauma…a death, moving house etc
- Sometimes it’s worth thinking about the priorities we give these things…
- So to finish I’d like you to take the cards we used at the beginning and
put them into the order you think they should be…not the order that they
are…where you’d like them to be.
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2005 Nigel Coates