Talk (What is God like? / Bruce Almighty)
- Explorer the different aspects of God’s character
- White board / pen
- index cards / pens
- Tonight we are going to ask the question: What is God like?
- We’re going to start by watching a clip from Bruce Almighty…
- In this clip, Bruce has been invited…
- [Bruce Almighty]
- 24 min 30 sec – start of scene 7
- 29 min 30 sec – ‘and by the way, you suck’
The middle bit
- That clip teaches us a number of things about what God is like…
- What words would you use to describe God…
- unchanging / eternal / always there / everywhere / all knowing / wise /
truthful / faithful / good / loving / merciful / patient / holy / wrathful /
peaceful / righteous / just / jealous / perfect / powerful / all powerful / keep
promises / graceful
- Let think about three of those things…
- God is…all knowing…omnipotent
- and has always been there…eternal
- 1 John 3:20b
"For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything."
- Revelation 1:8
"I am the Alpha (beginning) and the Omega (end)," says the Lord God, "who is,
and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."
- He knows everything there is to know…even your thoughts…
- How does that make you feel?
- In the clip, God said ‘I know quite a lot about you…’
- He pulled out a file from earlier that day when Bruce said…‘smite me oh
- Even though God known your thoughts…
- The Bible says that God is…loving…
- and is good towards those who do not deserve it…graceful
- 1 John 4:16
"God is love, and those who live in love live in God; and God lives in them"
- Exodus 34:6
"...the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger,
abounding in love and faithfulness..."
- What do you think that means?
- How does God show his love to us?
- Do you think it’s possible for God to love everyone?
- even murders / criminals…
- God is…everywhere…omnipresent
- In the clip, he was the janitor, the electrician and the boss…
- Psalms 139:7,8
“Where can I get away from your spirit? Where can I run from you? If I go up to
the heavens; you are there. If I lie down in the grave, you are there..”
- So God is hear, right now…in this room…
- If that is true, what does that mean?
- we can’t hide from God
- we can always call on God, if we choose
- So God has a file on us…
- I wonder what is in it…
- Good things or bad things
- Let us finish by praying about some of the things that are in our files
that concern us...
- [Hand out cards / pens]
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 2005 Nigel Coates
and Hiede Wilson