Superstition: what do you put your trust in?
- Bible readings
- Response papers
- A4 paper
- Tomorrow is September the 11 and I’m off to America on an airplane
- Some people seem concerned about this
- Why do you think that is?
- Tonight we are going to talk about superstitions…
- [Break in groups]
The middle bit
- Who can give some example of other superstitions?
- [Write these on paper and stick them up]
- For luck:
- Salt over shoulder
- Horse shoe
- Bad luck
- Breaking mirrors
- Walking under a ladder
- Black cat crossing your path
- Crossing on the stairs
- Friday 13th
- Do you think there is any truth in these? Why?
- Who do some people take them so seriously
- [Reflect back the same question with respect to the earlier answers]
Is it bad luck to put up an umbrella inside?
The Bible bit
- Here are some Bible readings…
- The Message Proverbs 3:5
”Trust GOD from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on
- The Message Proverbs 16:20
”It pays to take life seriously; things work out when you trust in GOD.”
- NIV John 14:1
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me”
- The Bible tells us to trust God, but why should we do that?
- How do we show we trust God?
- How do you think others show that they trust God?
- If you believe what the Bible says is true, then we should listen to what it has
- Put simply is says: trust God!
- He knows what he is doing!
- To finish, I’d like you to take a piece of paper [says trust God] and write down
the things that you’d like to entrust to God…
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2004 Nigel Coates