Talk (Where do you stand? / Homer the heretic)
- Tonight I’d like us to think about our relationship with God…where do we
- To get us thinking about this, we’re going to watch Homer the Heretic
- [Homer the Heretic: Video 22 minutes]
The middle bit
- In that episode of The Simpsons, we saw a range different attitudes
- Which character are you most like?
- Homer / Bart / Lisa / Marge / Ned / Rev Lovejoy
- Out of all the people in the Simpsons, who is most “Christian”?
- What is it that makes them “Christian”?
- Being nice
- Singing hymns
- Going to Church
- Reading Bible
- Belief / faith
- Why are we supposed to be “nice” and all that?
- Ned Flanders said “Christian life is not all praying and sacrifice”
- What do you think he means?
- If the “Christian life is not all praying and sacrifice” what is it
- It’s about living your life with God at the centre…keeping your
- Sometimes we find this hard…
- In that episode Homer was struggling with the idea of going to Church
- He said “What the big deal about going to the same building every Sunday”
- How do you feel about going to Church?
- What do you like / dislike about it?
- Why do Christians go to Church?
- The Bible tells us that as Christians we should get together to support
- It’s not supposed to be all about you and how you feel…
- Like a good friend will put our feelings before their own, we should put
God first…treat him as special
- This is kind of what this word “Worship” means
- Homer goes on to say “and what if we picked the wrong religion?”
- What do you think about that?
- Where do other religions fit into Christianity?
- What makes Christianity different to other religions?
- Personal relationship with God…
- John 14:6
"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to
the Father except through me.'"
- God always gives us a second chance, even though we don’t deserve
- 1 John 1:9 P1316
”But if we confess our sins, he will forgive ours sins, because we can
trust God to do what is right. He will cleanse us from all the wrongs we have
- Being a Christian is not about being a Ned Flanders
- It’s about you having a personal relationship with God
- Luke 10.27 P1022
"love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your
strength and your mind"…
- To finish, I’d like you to spend a moment and think about where you are at
- And if you have any big questions write them down…
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2004 Nigel Coates