Talk (Easter / About a boy)
- Paper shredder
- Bible readings to stick on wall
- Tonight we’re going to talk about sacrifice…
- We’re going to start by watching a clip from About a boy
- In this clip, Marcus’s (the boy) is about to embarrass himself
in front of the whole school…but this bloke, Will (Huge Grant), turns up to
save the day…
- [About a boy – DVD scene 18 - approx. 6 mins]
- Start – Will enters the school hall
- End – Will is playing the guitar on stage with his eyes closed…he stops
and everyone laughs
- You will need to edit out / mute 3 swear words
The middle bit
- Why do you think Will did what he did?
- What would you do if you were in his place?
- Would you have gone through with it?
- [In the film Marcus chose to make a fool of himself just because it would
make his mother happy….]
- Would you have done that for your mother?
- It will soon be Easter…
- What does Easter make you think of?
- Holidays / Jesus / Easter eggs
- In what way is the clip we’ve just seen like the Easter story?
- In the film Will saved Marcus from “social suicide” by getting everyone to
laugh at him, instead of Marcus
- In a similar way, Jesus saves us from the things we’ve done wrong by taking
the punishment we deserve…
- Will paid the price by getting humiliated
- Jesus had to pay the price with his life
- Have you ever taken the blame for something you didn’t do?
- [Have you ever blamed someone else for what you have done?]
- The Bible says:
- Matthew 20:28
”…the Son of Man [Jesus] did not come to be served. Hi came to serve
others and give his life as a ransom for many people”
- John 3:17
”God did not send his Son [Jesus] into the world to judge the world guilty,
but to save the world through him.”
- Luke 19:10
”The Son of Man [Jesus] came to find lost people and save them”
- Just as Will has paid the price for Marcus
- Jesus has paid the price for our mistakes
- What kind of mistakes are we talking about?
- Hurting other people / God / ourselves
- We all do things wrong…some of those things cut deep into our hearts
- Jesus will deal with those mistakes
- If we admit we’ve screwed up, and need his help
- That’s what been a Christian is…
- In one way, it’s not about been good
- It’s about realising that we mess things up and the only way we can become
better people is by asking God to help us, and following his advice
- To finish we’re going to have a time of confession
- Maybe you would like to ask God to sort out your mistakes
- To help you to become a better person…
- In a moment I’m going to give you some paper
- If you want to, write down some of your mistakes you’d like God to sort
- This is a prayer…and if you mean it…God will help
- When you’ve done that, go put it in the paper shredder…and nobody but God
will know what you wrote…
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2004 Nigel Coates