Talk (Prejudice / Remember the Titans)
- Explore own prejudice, and that of societies, and look at what the Bible
has to say about it
- To introduce our subject tonight, we are going to watch a clip from
Remember the Titans
- If you haven’t seen this film before, it’s based on a true story about a
football team, in which black and white players are brought together for the
- [Remember the Titans]
- 0 mins – ‘based on a true story’
- 13 mins – ‘who’s your daddy…get on the bus…’
The middle bit
- What do you think about what we’ve just seen?
- There are many kinds of prejudice, racism is just one of them
- What other prejudice’s can you think of?
- [Write down their responses on large pieces of paper and put them on
the floor. Throw in the following ideas if needed]
- Xenophobia (Foreigners), Homophobia, ageism (old / young)
- What other groups of people get a hard time?
- Christian, The homeless, Gypsies, Jobless, Single parents, the disabled,
drug addicts, those with learning problems, criminals, short people
- [Write these down as before]
- [Go through each piece of paper and ask…]
- What kind of things do people say about these people?
- What is wrong with those opinions?
- Usually, they are untrue…
- The Bible says…
- James 2:1-7 P1295
"…never think some people are more important than others…"
- Why do you think it says that?
- Where do you think these attitudes come from?
- Parents, friends, society, ignorance
- Do you know anyone who has said any of these things?
- How did you react when heard them?
- What would it take for people’s attitudes to change?
- Do you think your attitude would change if you got to know some of
- What would you do if a criminal came to live next door?
- How do these attitudes affect the way we live our lives?
- The Bible also says
- Luke 6:37 P1013
"Don't Judge other people, and you will not be judged. Don't accuse others
of being guilty, and you will not be accused of being guilty. Forgive, and you
will be forgiven…."
- Can you think of a time when you were guilty of prejudice?
- When was the last time someone gave you a hard time for being
- The reality is we all have prejudice…but we might not realise it
- The Bible is clear on how we should treat one another…
- What ever our prejudice are, God wants us to rise above them and treat
everyone the same
- I’m going to finish by reading the story of the good Samaritan
- Which is a story about prejudice…the Samaritans were hated in their day
because they weren’t proper Jews…
- Luke 10:25 – 36 page 316 – 317 in The Street Bible
- Who does God want us to be like?
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2004 Nigel Coates