Talk (The nature of God / Bruce Almighty)
Note: This talk was done one week after watching Bruce Almighty at the
cinema. The talk took place in a dark field when we were camping out.
Stuff needed for talk
- Chemical lights - mail me if you can't find some yourselves. I
bought 50 for £8.
- Last time we meet we went to see Bruce almighty
- What did you think of it?
- In this film, Bruce gets to meet God
- Who would like to explain how that happened?
- So he gets to meet God...
- How did Bruce react?
- What was God like?
- What would you do if you came face to face with God?
- Why do you think God wanted to meet Bruce at the warehouse?
- To talk to him / help him
- Personally, I think he wanted to teach him something / help him
- He did that by giving him his powers...scary…
- What would you do if you had God’s powers?
- Bruce soon discovers that being God is a hard job…answering prayers etc.
- If looking after us is such a hard job, why do you think God bothers with us?
- God loves us
- What’s to be our friend
- He wants to help us
- He wants us to look to him for help...to guide us though this life
- The Bible puts it like this:
- John 8:12
“I am the light of the world. The person who follows me will never live in
darkness but will have the light that gives life”
- What do you think that means?
- It kind of means that life is a little bit like trying to find your way on
a dark night…
- You’ll struggle if you don’t have any light to see where you are going
- [Wave your glo stick in the air - assuming it's dark!]
- The Bible says that God (Jesus) is like a light
- He will help us to find the path in the darkness…
- That’s why we are called Pathfinders
- I don’t know where you are in life…
- Maybe you feel lost, in the dark, struggling to find your way in life
- Wondering what life is about…
- All I want to say to you tonight is that God wants to show you the way
- To lighted up your life…
- If that’s something you want all you need to do is let him…
- Talk to him, pray, read the Bible, talk to us…
- If you do that, my experience is that God will help…
- To finish, I’m going to give you a light…tonight…and it’s going to help
you find your way on our walk (we went for a long walk in the dark after the
- Just like God can…
- [hand out chemical lights]
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2004 Nigel Coates