Talk (Courage / Jerry McGuire)
Note: this talk is *very* loosely based on 'Courage'. This featured in Youth
work magazine March 2002
- Do we find it hard to stand up for what we believe in?
- How do we cope? How do we know when we are right / wrong?
- A selection of different stones
- Video Jerry McGuire
- Tonight we are going to take a look at courage…
- We’re going to start by watching a clip from Jerry McGuire
- 0 – 9 mins – finish on “I was 35, I’d started my life”
The middle bit
- There are many forms of courage…Jerry McGuire demonstrated one of them…
- He spoke out…stood up for what he believed in…he took a risk
- Where / when have you seen courage displayed?
- Doctors / fire fighters
- People who suffer with long term physical pain
- In the clip we’re just watched, Jerry dared to question “his place in the
- He did this by writing a mission statement entitled “the things we think
but do not say”
- What stops us from standing up for what we believe in?
- Peer pressure
- Risk of been wrong / looking foolish / standing out
- How does it feel when you speak up?
- Do you feel people listen?
- Jerry said that it made him feel like his “fathers so again”
- What do you think that means?
- The Bible tells us that we should…
- Proverbs 31 v8-9
"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all
who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor
and the needy."
- If you could speak up about something, what would it be?
- What are you passionate about?
- As Xian’s we’re supposed to speak up for God…
- What do you do when someone is slags off Christians?
The Bible bit
- There are many good examples of courageous men and women in the Bible
- We’re going to look at one of them now…
- It’s a story you’ve all heard before…David and Goliath…
- Read 1 Samuel 17 from The Street Bible
- What is this story teach us?
- Who / what are the ‘giants’ in our world today?
- Money / greed / commercialism / materialism / globalisation / fashion
- Pollution / global warming /
- David fought Goliath with a stone…it seemed like a no-win situation…
- What weapons do we have to fight with?
- Values / beliefs / standing firm
- Sometimes we need to ‘choose our battles’...it is not always right to
- When is it right to fight / when is it wrong?
- There are times in life where we struggle to do the right thing…
- What area of your life do you need courage?
- [Spread the stones on the floor]
- In the story of David and Goliath, David's used a stone to overcome
- So I though we could finish by choosing a stone...
- I'd like you to think of your stone as a prayer...what is it your want to
- [Allow them to choose a stone. Suggest that they should choose a stone
who's colour / texture somehow represents what they want to pray about]
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2004 Nigel Coates