Talk (Do we have a right to privacy - EdTV)
- We living in a world that is full of people who will do anything to know our business:
- So they can sell us stuff
- For gossip
- Care about us
- So tonight we are going to ask: Do we have a right to privacy?
- There is a great movie based on this theme and that is EdTV
- [Play EdTV 16 minute (day 1) - 26 mins (start of day 3)]
The middle bit
- Would you like to live your life in front of a camera like Ed?
- Later on in the film, it becomes quite clear that it is difficult to live your life when
everybody knows your business
- People offer you advice you don't want
- Friends and family hear things that they shouldn't
- This can cause problems
- Many of us grow up with brothers and sisters, which makes it hard to get time and space
- Do you feel like your brothers / sisters and parents respect your privacy?
- Do you have to share a room with anyone?
- Do they ever 'spy' on you?
- When I was younger, I used to read my sister's diary. Have you ever done anything like
- Listened in on a conversation
- How would you feel if your parents / brothers / sisters read your mail or diary?
- Why do you think they would do that?
- Check to see if you're behaving. Drugs / boyfriends etc.
- For a laff
- Do you think we all have a right to privacy?
The Bible bit
- If you look in the Bible you will not find anything that specifically says we have the
right to privacy, however, we read:
- When John the Baptist died:
- Mat 14:13 P934 "When Jesus heard what had happened to John, he left in a boat and
went to a lonely place by himself
- When we pray:
- Mat 6:6 P918 "When you pray, you should go into your room and close the door and
pray to your Father who can not be seen"
- Jesus spent time alone
- Matthew 4:1 Jesus was lead into the desert and tempted
- Matthew 26:36 Jesus prays alone
- Luke 9:18 Jesus prays alone
- But we also read
- Acts 2:43-47 P1100 "
All the believers were together and shared
- What do you think that means?
- To me, this suggests that there is a time and a place for privacy. For many people it's
a good time for:
- Spending time with God
- Sorting your head out
- Taking a break
- But we must not forget that we are supposed to live as one big 'happy family', and that
means spending time with each other
- Privacy is a big deal to many people
- So for our prayer tonight, I thought it would be good for us to spend a moment, and note
down (give out post-it's) when and where we would like more privacy in our lives.
- Could be at home
- Could be at school
- When you have done that, may be you would like to tell us about one of the things you
have written down
- So let's just spend a moment thinking about that
- [Discus what they have written down]
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2004 Nigel Coates