Talk (Guilt and forgiveness)
- In our day to day lives, we experience loads of different emotions and feelings, some
are easy to cope with, but some are hard.
- Tonight we are going to be talking about two things that I think a lot of us find hard
to cope with: "Guilt and forgiveness"
- In a minute, we're going to watch a clip from a video, but before we do that, I'd like
us to think further about what those words mean
- What does that make you think of?
- What words come to mind?
- Guilt "2. A feeling of responsibility or shame for wrongdoing etc."
- Forgiveness - ditto
- Forgive "1. To give pardons for a fault etc. 2. To cease to resent: 'to forgive
one's enemies'. "
The middle bit
- Video: Forest Gump (11 mins).
The clip starts just before the gun fight in the jungle - it stops
raining, and ends when it cuts to Forest at the bus stop.
- Lt Dan (Daniel Taylor)
- "Just leave me here"
- "I can't leave the platoon"
- Do you think Lt Dan was suffering from guilt?
- What kind of things can we feel guilty about?
- Things we have done that have gone bad
- Things we have not done
- Anybody ever thought, if only I'd have done this, then such and such would have
- Breaking up relationships
- Parents divorce
- What about group "guilt"?
- It goes without saying, guilt and shame is very powerful feeling
- It messes with the things that make us who we are
- Do you think God wants us to feel guilt?
- What about the Ten commandments?
- Can guilt end up controlling our lives
The Bible bit - Psalm 32 v1-7 Page 499
- Verse 3: "When I kept things to myself, I felt weak deep inside me. I moaned all
- Are you the kind of person who keeps stuff to themselves
- Do you feel that you can talk to God?
- I moaned
do you, like me, think to yourself "oh no, I didn't say that did
- Verse 5: "
I will confess my sins to the Lord and you forgave my guilt"
- We are told this all over the Bible
- What ever it is we are carrying around
God can help us with it
- So why do we carry guilt around with us?
- We don't want to admit it
has anybody ever tried to kind yourself?
- There are things in all of our lives where we need to seek Gods forgiveness
- You know what they are
- But the problem is that sometimes these things we keep locked inside, may be because we
don't want to say anything out aloud
- So I thought we'd try something a little different
- [hand out big lumps of blue tack]
- I'm going to give you a couple of minutes, and want you to make something that to you
expresses where you are at
and then we will pray
Youth ideas home page
Copyright 1998-2004 Nigel Coates